Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Rooster Kill

Today I went to our neighbor farmer Stew's farm to kill two roosters. It would have been great to do meat chickens that are breed for that and were ready, but since I'm leaving Saturday this was my last chance to experience the process. It was nothing that anyone necessarily wants to do, but I think it is something everyone who chooses to meat should have to do and witness the long and nasty process which is killing and preparing meat. It was something I felt I needed to do this summer while trying to get the most and learn the most out of my time on the farm. Stew was so kind to do it for me as well and I am appreciative. Since being on the farm I have begun consuming way less meat. And if you worked out here.. and if you had to be there today.. I think you would too. I think America would consume way less meat if people took time to farm and had the chance to make that connection between a chicken running around a field and the meat on one's plate. My pictures explain better the process...














No comments:

Post a Comment