Tuesday, August 13, 2013

New Chapter, New Title

As you know, I'm out of Goochland and soon headed to Blacksburg. I'm currently home, here till Thursday morning. I decided to continue blogging, I am turning my summer internship into an independent study at Tech. I got an email from my advisor and he wants to focus on my time in D.C. and we are going to study the Farm Bill. So I will continue to blog... but now,  about my adventures in the burg, my study of the Farm Bill, and well just life.

For anyone who didn't read my Rooster Kill post.. I am seeking an ethics of meat consumption... the easiest way to state where I am now is that I am a vegetarian. I currently do not have a moral or spiritual conviction for not eating meat in general BUT I cannot justify eating meat produced in the fashion that our industrial model does... factory farming. So I would eat local meat where I know the animals were raised in a humane way and I will eat that type of meat sparingly. Meat is not a faceless commodity, it is a product of a sentient being given to us by God. I will not be a vegetarian who thinks they are being so green by not eating meat and yet sits there eating a bunch of processed foods and feeding into the industrial system. I am trying to be a smart, educated vegetarian (or rather as I would say a locavore) that eats healthy, vitamin rich, protein filled (and yes you can get all the energy you need from vegetables and legumes) meals. So if I ever live on a farm or near one or can afford whole foods meat, I will eat meat in healthy, moderate portions:)


No comments:

Post a Comment