Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Cabin, the Counselors, and the Farm

So Tuesday night was my first night in the cabin! I worked a full day on the farm: seeding and watering squash and zucchini, hoeing the rows of potatoes, and harvesting carrots. Then Tuesday night I went to hang out with the camp counselors; they arrive 2 weeks before the kids do. They were super nice and seemed really excited that I was outgoing and wanted to hang out with them this summer. I can tell it may be difficult for me to feel included or like I click well with them considering they hang out essentially all day every day and many are returners and know the ropes. With that being said, they have been super sweet about it so far. Then Tuesday night I went back to my cabin in the woods, and guess what- I wasn't scared at all!! Now I was super itchy and slightly paranoid about bugs but it was totally fine. Oh also I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and I did run to the bathroom... but that is understandable for the first night. On Wednesday I worked on the farm all morning (I usually get there 7:45-8ish). Then at noon I went to Short Pump to meet Melinda and get the things I had forgotten at home (plus I picked up a few things for the cabin). I then had a meeting with our Program Director, Dominick, he is the "city employee" and is in charge of me when I do city stuff. He confirmed my weekly schedule with farm versus city and invited me to go to D.C. with him and two other interns on Tuesday for Bread for the World's loby day: http://www.bread.org/event/gathering-2013/lobby-day.html. This will be a great opportunity for me, as a person of faith who is passionate about social justice in reference to food issues, to go before my legislators and be a part of a grassroots political movement. So next week will be crazy crazy for me, but that is kind of how I like it anyways haha. Well, tata for now:)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us in the detailed loop! You know I love details! Glad night one in cabin was a success!

    ReplyDelete