Saturday, June 28, 2014

"Whooah, We're Half Way There"

     Thursday I finished my session one classes: Beginners Italian and the Florence Food and Culture Experience. My emotions this weekend are bitter-sweet for sure. I met some really amazing girls in my classes: Gabby, Meg, Alyssa, and Taylor, all of whom are leaving Florence; therefore the end of this session is super sad. My roomies and I are all here for 12 weeks, but the majority of people studying at FUA (Florence University of the Arts) are only here for six weeks. So I had to say bye to these girlies, who head back to the states today. On Tuesday, session two begins and I will be taking just one class: Introduction to Digital Photography. I'm really excited about the class and know that these next six weeks will lead to many good memories and adventures (as these last six weeks did!). 
     Oh, and stories from last night. So last night my roommates and I went out dancing since it's one of my only weekends actually in Florence, not traveling. We went to this club called Space Bar, a place they had been two weeks ago when I was in Rome. It was really fun! We danced the night away, until about 2:40am!! Way way way past Kelsey's bedtime, but I told them I can make it out that late about once a month so they capitalize on that for sure. I want to go on record saying that I didn't drink any alcohol at all last night, mainly because my tummy was not feeling great. Also, because even though I can drink legally, and I think drinking in moderation is 100% fine, I don't need alcohol to have a good time!! Last night was a blast:) Okay, disclaimer over. THEN, we went on an adventure to find the secret bakery we had heard about. Apparently Florence has some "secret" bakeries that do not open till 2am and are kind of hard to find. I mean, you can google it... so I guess not that secret... but still, so fun. The instructions online tell you how to get there, and then say "take a right, it's in the ally, and you'll see a glass window with a sign that says 'Please Be Quiet.'" Well, we found it, as had some other late-nighters. You really do have to be quiet though, it was pretty great. People kept shushing anyone who was talking above a whisper haha. We got nutella croissants, and they were AMAZING!! Seriously so yummy.
     I thought I'd take time to do a half way assessment of the summer. Take some time to reflect. For this post, I will just reflect on Florence. Things I enjoy about Florence: the rich history of the city, the open-air markets open daily, the slower more easy going style of life- people have perspective here, they just aren't as up-tight as people in the states, the bakeries and panini shops that line the streets, the beautiful views and buildings I get to see daily, GELATO, PIZZA, great public transportation within Italy and to other countries in the EU, and fun places to go dancing. Things I'm not so much a fan of: creepy Italian men that have no shame in straight checkin you out as you walk by, the complete lack of green or any sign of nature (city life I guess though), persistent vendors who don't listen when you say you would not like what they are walking around selling, and dogs (and sometimes men) peeing or pooping in the middle of the cobblestone streets that I have to walk on:/ You really gotta watch your step here haha. 

Gabby, Meg, Me, our Professor, Alyssa, and Taylor. Miss um already!


This picture captures the wonderful weirdness of these sweet girls who made my last six weeks such a blast;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment